As part of the 2021 Budget Council I was pleased to receive unanimous support on a motion to implement On-Demand Bus Services to the Hanlon Creek Business Park and Guelph’s Community Bus Service. This motion was in response to the identified desire for transit services in this developing employment area; however, the financial reality of traditional transit was significantly constrained based on predicted ridership. Well the early returns are in from staff and I’m happy to pass along some good news.
An Update from Staff…………How’s it going so far!
We are offering two service streams: Hanlon on-demand (servicing the Hanlon Business Park and Hanlon Creek Business Park) and surrounding neighbourhoods), and Community on-demand (servicing popular destination points in Guelph).
Every day, more and more people are discovering and using on-demand, and we are monitoring our ridership numbers daily. We will report on the program’s outcomes later this year. In the meantime, a few highlights:
- Community on-demand is up by 189.29 per cent since May 2
- 346 trips taken, between May 2 and June 16
- 15,900 less kilometres driven compared to the same number of days when we offered a set schedule (Community Bus). This diverts 1.42 tonnes of C02 emissions from the atmosphere, and lowers fuel and maintenance costs.
- Hanlon on-demand is up by 14.66 per cent since May 2
- 4,555 trips taken, between May 2 and June 16
- 22,756 less kilometres driven compared to the same number of days when we offered a set schedule (Route 16 Southgate). This diverts 2.03 tonnes of C02 emissions from the atmosphere, and lowers fuel and maintenance costs.
- Providing transit service to the Hanlon Creek Business Park, an area not serviced before on-demand.
Be My Guest – try our On-Demand Service!
Have you tried Guelph Transit’s new on-demand bus service? We invite you to download the free ‘On-demand your way’ app on your smartphone and book a ride with us!
- Download the ‘On-demand your way’ app from either the App Store or Google Play
- You can also visit book.ondemandyourway.com
Need help? Call 519-822-1811, prompt 5 to speak to one of our friendly, helpful booking agents.
And we would love for you to share your experience with others by posting about it on your social media channels, tagging @GuelphTransit and using the hashtag #OnDemandYourWay